UPDATE 28/3/2012 - 09:10
The following statement has been released via the Sonisphere website confirming that the Knebworth festival is cancelled.
It is with very heavy hearts and much regret that we announce the cancellation of Sonisphere Knebworth 2012.
Putting the festival together in what is proving to be a very challenging year was more difficult than we anticipated and we have spent the last few months fighting hard to keep Sonisphere in the calendar. Unfortunately circumstances have dictated that we would be unable to run the festival to a standard that both the artists and that Sonisphere’s audience would rightly expect.
We want to express our deepest regrets to the artists and to thank all the staff, suppliers and contractors who worked so hard with us to try and pull off what has proven to be an impossible task and we know how much they share in our disappointment. We also want to send a huge thanks to the Sonisphere fans who stuck by us and we are so sorry that we can’t fulfil what we set out to do.
Ticket holders will automatically receive a full refund direct from their ticket agents.
Many sites are reporting that Sonisphere is cancelled.
Queen, Skindred and Fields of the Nephilim have all removed the event from their tour dates.
The ticket links are still on the Sonisphere site, but if you try to use them you get a message saying that no tickets are available.
All this yet still no official word from the organisers...
UPDATE 28/3/2012 - 18:45
The following is taken from Queenonline.com
"It is with very heavy hearts and much regret that we announce the cancellation of Sonisphere Knebworth 2012".
Manchester venue 'Satan's Hollow' was due to host promotion nights and ticket giveaways for the event. They have alleged on their Facebook page that they had spoken to people involved with the festival who had told them it had been cancelled.
When asked about the rumours, a spokesman for Sonisphere’s PR, Full Fat, said "I can't confirm or deny anything at the moment but there will be an announcement on the Sonisphere website tomorrow."
They gave no clue to the nature of the announcement, or the time of the announcement.
MetalTalk released the following article - though we have removed the blatent advertising for Download from the end of it!
The internet is ablaze with rumours that this year's Sonisphere Festival is about to be cancelled, due to poor ticket sales.
Thrashhits were the first to go public with the stories that have been circulating all day and whilst no one from the festival organisers Kilimanjaro have yet commented on the rumours, several people connected to Sonisphere have reportedly - and allegedly - confirmed the cancellation.
A statement is expected to be made tomorrow and in the meantime, the official Queen site, http://www.queenonline.com, appears to have removed all reference to Sonisphere and pulled it from the tour dates section. Queen with Adam Lambert on vocals were due to headline the Saturday night at this year's Knebworth event.
Late yesterday afternoon John Probyn, Chief Operating Officer for Live Nation Music UK, organisers of Download Festival tweeted: "Another one bites the dust .........!" Probyn followed that up this very hour with "And another one, two, three, four bite the dust ............!" Ominous? You decide.
There are suggestions that the announcement will concern the Swedish edition of Sonisphere but what turned out to be a mere rumour this morning has now reached overdrive and is impossible to ignore any longer.
We'll bring you more as soon as we have it...